Marc Sluszny is an adventurer, sportsman and author.
Sluszny has a voracious appetite for risk and adventure, which he satisfies by challenging the elements of nature through the practice of extreme sports.
He sees a strong correlation between his choice of occupation as a commodities trader and his penchant for dangerous sports.
“In my passion you have to stay focused and keep a cool head to stay alive, just like in extreme sports – you’re always on the edge. Both require heavy doses of self-discipline, confidence and the ability to channel the same mysterious energy that unfailingly guides the Zen Archer’s arrow to its target. It also doesn’t hurt to maintain a healthy disregard for one’s own safety.”
He has broken several records and participated many times in various European and World Championships in different disciplines. Over the years he has gained worldwide attention by challenging the elements of nature through the practice of extreme sports, culminating in the award winning docu-film ‘Sharkwise’ (official selection Cannes Festival 2011).
From the top of the world to the caverns of the deep, time and again Marc has journeyed to the edge and returned to tell the tale of his lifelong passion for testing the limits of human, mental and physical capacity. The spellbinding stories of his escapades are inspiring and exhilarating.
It is not how good you are, only how good you want to be!
Marc is a natural and experienced motivational speaker and his speech is titled ‘Fear Less’, after his most recent book, and has the underlying message of “To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom.”
Life is all about overcoming your fears, about pushing one’s boundaries and seeking new challenges. He explains that by not accepting your perceived limits but by trying to push past beyond them, the further you will get. Marc hopes to inspire people and motivate them to follow their passions, search for excellence and live their dreams. His presentations are illustrated by photos and short movies.
Marc has in the past been sponsored by Sony, Samsung, Mumm Champagne, Timberland and Johnny Walker amongst others.
- 1982-83: Tennis – Member of the Belgian Davis Cup Team.
- 1988: Swimming: English Channel, solo from Dover to Cap Blanc Nez.
- 1994: Bungee Jumping: World Record, 6,720m – from a Hot Air Balloon.
- 1995: Sky Surf: 4th World Sky Surfing Championships. Belgian National Champ.
- 1996: BASE Jumping: First acrobatic stunt – Norway, Kjerog-Lysefjord, 1,000m
- 1997: Climbing: Member of the Belgian Himalaya Expedition to Anapurna.
- 2000: Hang Gliding: Belgian Record Aerobatics. Cross Country: 100 km non-stop.
- 2002: Fencing (épée): Member Belgian Olympic Fencing Team.
- 2003: Ocean Racing: Rolex Sidney-Hobart Yacht Race, crew member “Icefire”.
- 2005: Motor Racing: 5 x 24 hr Endurance Races including Daytona & Nurburgring.
- 2005-6: Aviation: U.S. Coast-to-Coast flight in an antique seaplane (Lake Buccaneer).
- 2006-7: Gliding: Altitude Record (11,300 m.) above the Andes Mountains.
- 2008: Diving: Team Leader of the first Belgian expedition to HMHS Britannic wreck.
- 2009: P1 Powerboat Racing, Finished 4th at the World Championships.
- 2010-11: Bobsleigh: Captain & Pilot for the National Belgian Team.
- 2011: Sharkwise: Film about Marc’s adventures with the Great White Shark.
- 2011: Rafting the Zambezi.
- 2012: Vertical Run: World Record Vertical Run 15″56*, on the Belgacom Towers.
- 2012: Deep Dive: Blue Hole, Dahab, Egypt 168m on open circuit.