Nigel Vardy is a Record Breaking Mountaineer and Motivational Speaker.
Nigel has travelled the world since the early 1990’s in search of adventure and new experiences. He has survived in climates ranging from tropical rainforest to arctic glaciers and pushed himself to his physical and mental limit on many occasions.
In 1999 he was climbing on Mt McKinley in Alaska when a severe storm trapped him at 20,000ft. Exposed to the elements he suffered severe frostbite and was lucky to be rescued in one of the highest altitude helicopter airlifts in history.
At 30 years old Nigel Vardy found himself thrust into a new and difficult world. Frostbite took all of his toes, fingertips and nose. Months of surgery and hospitalisation followed and Nigel was forced to rebuild his life starting with re-learning such tasks as walking, writing and driving. Even through all this Nigel insisted that he would climb again, and over the past seven years he has proved his abilities by taking part in expeditions across the world.
His recovery from frostbite has been described as incredible. Even though he has suffered such injuries he has proved that he can still survive in freezing climates such as Baffin Island and the Greenland Ice Cap, but physical recovery is only part of the process. His mental recovery has seen him ride a rollercoaster of emotions, which he has built on to give him an incredible drive to succeed in everything he does in life. It is this drive which many people have found inspirational at Nigel’s presentations.
In 2007 he completed a record breaking challege which he set himself in 2003 to climb the tallest peaks on the world’s seven largest islands – this was a british first.
Since 1999 Vardy has worked with BBC television and radio, Independent Television and the Discovery Channel in Canada and the UK. A new series – Alive, filmed by Darlow Smithson Productions includes his adventure on Mt McKinley. He has also contributed to articles in many broadsheet newspapers and magazines.
In 2002, his Nepal Audio Diaries were used by the BBC and entered for the Sony Music Awards for Radio. He still writes for the media on a regular basis. He has also developed his skills for motivational speaking and has talked at many business conferences and travel lectures.
Nigel has been heavily involved with Raleigh International for 15 years and also works with the Peak District National Park on both conservation and ranger projects.
Born in Derby, England in 1969, Nigel was educated at Belper High School before becoming an Electrical Engineer.
Nigel Vardy brings his expedition experiences into the business world. Change and Motivation are two of Nigel’s popular subjects, which cross many expedition and business boundaries.
- Once Bitten… – How to rebuild your Life after Disaster has Struck.
- TLC – Teamwork, Leadership, Communication – Three huge topics in the Business and Mountaineering world.
- Into Thin Air – How to make your Major Project work first time.
- All Change! – What to do when your Industry, Job or Life changes
- Frostbitten – From Tribulation to Triumph
The 5 key reasons to book Nigel Vardy:
- British Record Breaking Mountaineer – Nigel Vardy was the first British climber to summit the Highest Peaks on the World’s Seven Largest Islands.
- Star of the Discovery Channel / C4 Series ‘Alive’
- Author of “Once Bitten”
- Expert in Change Management and Project Evaluation gained from over 20 years in Electrical Engineering.
- Motivation Expert who has overcome serious physical injury and still regularly climbs across the world.