Viktor Mayer-Schönberger is Professor of Internet Governance and Regulation at the Oxford Internet Institute/Oxford University.
Professor Mayer-Schönberger is also a faculty affiliate of the Belfer Center of Science and International Affairs at Harvard University.
He is the author of ten books, including:
- The award-winning “Reinventing Capitalism in the Age of Big Data” (with Thomas Ramge, available in ten languages).
- The international bestseller “Big Data” (with Kenneth Cukier, translated into more than twenty languages).
- The award-winning “Delete – The Virtue of Forgetting in the Digital Age” (with Princeton University Press, available in multiple languages).
Furthermore, Viktor is the author of over a hundred articles and book chapters on the governance of information.
Following successes in the International Physics Olympics and the Austrian Young Programmers Contest, Viktor studied in Salzburg, Harvard and at the London School of Economics.
In 1986 he founded Ikarus Software, a data security company and developed the Virus Utilities, which became the best-selling Austrian software product.
He was voted Top-5 Software Entrepreneur in Austria in 1991 and Person of the Year for the State of Salzburg in 2000.
He has chaired the Rueschlikon Conference on Information Policy in the New Economy, bringing together leading strategists and decision-makers of the new economy.
In 2014 he received a World Technology Award in the law category for his work.
He is a sought after expert for media outlets worldwide. Viktor and his work have been featured in (among others) New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, The Economist, BBC, The Guardian, Le Monde, Die Zeit, Der Spiegel and WIRED.
He is also on the boards of foundations, think tanks and organizations focused on studying the information economy. Furthermore, he advises governments, businesses and NGOs on new economy and information society issues.
Viktor Mayer-Schönberger – Keynote Speaker
As an international Big Data speaker, Professor Mayer-Schönberger answers questions such as:
- Why is Big Data transforming the way we live, work and think?
- What really is Big Data, beyond the hype?
Popular speaking topics include:
- Big Data’s role in changing the face of everything from product development, scientific discovery, human learning, healthcare, transportation, retail, finance and marketing.
- The role of human remembering when capturing and storing digital memory has become so easy and cheap.
- User trust, and information privacy, as well as the need for relevance in the data we keep.
- The evolution of the information economy, and how our work-life and home-life change due to our digital tools and networks.
Viktor has delivered presentations for many leading Fortune 500 companies such as IBM, SAP, Microsoft, Roche, Haier and Huawe. He also delivers speeches to government agencies, educational institutions and professional organisations.