Matthew Syed is an award-winning columnist at The Times and author of best-selling books Bounce and Black Box Thinking.
Bounce, published in April 2010, has been described as “one of the most intelligent and thought-provoking books about sport ever written”.
Black Box Thinking, published in 2015, is a UK bestseller, and has been translated into multiple languages.
“The best speech of its kind I have ever heard. It inspired, entertained and informed in equal measure.”
David Richardson, The Atlantic Group
Matthew has won numerous awards for his writing including:
- Sports Journalist of the Year at The British Press Awards on 2 occasions
- Best New Writer for his book, Bounce, at the British Sports Book Awards
- Sports Feature Writer of the Year at the Sports Journalist Association Awards
- Sports Columnist of the Year at the Sports Journalist Association Awards
- Sports Commentator of the Year at the Editorial Intelligence Comment Awards
Prior to being a journalist, Matthew Syed was England’s number one table tennis player for nearly a decade.
He was three-times Commonwealth Champion and competed at the Barcelona ’92 and Sydney 2000 Olympics.
High Performance Keynote Speaker:
Matthew delivers motivational presentations on psychology, performance and continuous improvement.
Matthew’s most popular presentation – Black Box Thinking, is a new approach to high performance.
Drawing on case studies and real life examples, coupled with cutting-edge research on marginal gains, Matthew gives you the inside story of how success really happens – and how we cannot change and grow unless we are prepared to learn from our mistakes.
He has presented keynote speeches to many leading organisations and groups around the world including:
- Global finance ministers at Harvard University
- The Commanders and Admirals of the British surface fleet
- Britain’s Chief Constables
- The Presidents of the Medical Royal Colleges
- The General Staff of the British Army
- The global partners of Goldman Sachs
- The Arsenal football team and other top sports organisations
His Mindset for Education presentations for teachers and school leaders provide the latest research and tools to unleash curiosity, creativity and growth mindset in their students.
Matthew also provides bespoke presentations for businesses and a learning course on the principles of high performance.